Thread: How's it going?

How's it going?

How's everyone's studying going? Confident?

I'm currently working my way through Organic Chem for dummies. I'm only around 50 pages in, but it really is a fantastic book. At first glimpse of a page, a feeling of trepidation quickly overcomes me, but I read through it, and it becomes clear. I'm hoping to have finished the book in 2-3 weeks, and then I'm going to spend my time just working through past-papers and researching the topics/answers if I don't know them.

In terms of confidence, I really don't know. I've had a crack at a few short mock exams (40 Q's or so). On one I came in with around 50%, the other I got around 40%. Of course, I'd only covered Biology at this point, but still, it scared me.

Luckily I'm working nights for the foreseeable future, and there's around 4-5 hours during my shift where I literally have nothing to do but wait for a call, so I can get the books out and study. Up until now I've not been using this time efficiently, but I will definitely start making the most of it. I suppose it means I can get around 20 hours a week in studying whilst getting paid, meaning I don't need to do too much in my own time.

Hello,

Revision is going alright thanks! I've revised A level biology and I'm going start chemistry next week. I'm also going through the past papers and questions as I go along. In terms of confidence, I'm sure I'll get there the further I go.

Good luck with the rest of your revision.

Just purchased a sample question booklet. It has really scared me (again). I'm not sure if I'm cut out for this, I'm getting questions wrong on subjects I've covered! I absolutely hate the wording of it all.

ARGH!

Becoming less confident daily. Really don't think I'll pass September, and will have to re-do the test in March.

I know exactly how you feel! I'm just the same. A lot of it is to do with confidence, just keep answering the questions as you go along and when you do get one wrong go back and make sure you understand why. That's my plan!
    I've just booked my test and I'm sat here thinking this is real.... I'm going to take this test in September.....
    Have you taken the GAMSAT before or is this your first attempt?

Just keep practicing those questions. Work out what you got wrong and go over that again. Then come back to it a few days later. If you get to know all the practice questions inside out you'll be ok in the exam, a lot of them are rehashed year after year and just tweaked so it's a great help to be well used to them.
    GEM 2014 Hopeful
    GAMSAT March 2012 - Overall 53 - 55,67,45
    GAMSAT September 2012 - Overall 56 - 64,62,48

Applying to Nottingham & SGUL
    2:2 Arts Graduate currently working in the NHS

Thanks mikuro

Quote Originally Posted by richadam View Post
    ARGH!

Becoming less confident daily. Really don't think I'll pass September, and will have to re-do the test in March.
    Dont panic, richadam! You will be getting more and more used to the topics and the style of the questions without knowing it. Its still quite a while until the exam so don't resign yourself to failing. Just keep going with the practice, but also do a little wider reading too. Just so you're not totally focussed on that 1 person's writing style.
    If you really don't understand one of the questions on the day, make a good guess, put a star next to it and come back to it if you have time at the end.
    - Warwick 2016 -
    3rd year

Also it's no biggie if you have to retake, it's a pain but second time around you'll be more prepared and know what to expect and what you need to work on. I fully expected to have to retake, and I'm going to keep bloody doing it until I get the score I need!!
    GEM 2014 Hopeful
    GAMSAT March 2012 - Overall 53 - 55,67,45
    GAMSAT September 2012 - Overall 56 - 64,62,48

Applying to Nottingham & SGUL
    2:2 Arts Graduate currently working in the NHS