Gamsat preparation time

Hi guys! Just wondering, those who took the gamsat test.. How long did you revise for leading up to your test?

I'm gona be starting around now is that enough time to revise everything till September? I don't have that much knowledge in the sciences and still looking at how to understand the structure of the test.
    I would greatly appreciate sine help!

Thanks all..

Personally I used my lunch breaks (so 5 hours a week) from about April/May. Yes I did some extra on some weekends, but I also missed some lunch breaks, so it probably equalled out.

But its a very personal thing which will depend on your ability, study effectiveness and knowledge starting point. So what worked for me may not be enough for you or could be over kill.

I didn't have GCSE Bio or Chem, but did have Physics to A-level - but this was in the 90s! (my school only allowed you to take one straight science) - but I was described as having a "natural scientific flair". However I'm dyslexic and have avoided essay writing as much as I can - so knew that section II would be a challenge, and I would have to be very analytical with my reading for section I.

I used the Griffiths GAMSAT review for my strategy and technique, the Collins Advanced Science (Biol and Chem)* to get my science up to scratch and the ACER practice/sample papers to perfect technique and identify issues/gaps.

* I loved the Dorking Kingsley style colourful sound bite style, with the diagrams and constant "tester" questions down the margin. So you could constantly check your understanding as you worked through rather than relying just on the chapter end tests and then going back to correct gaps. - I didn't bother with Physics - as the practice questions acted as revision.

Hope that helps and helps you think about what might work well for you.
    SGUL GEP (P - Year) - That's a 3rd of 4 years, but 4th of 5...
    "All that we see, or seem, is but a dream within a dream..."
    E.A.Poe

Martigan always fills me with confidence with his very limited studying time; but then I do a practice Section 3 test, and only get around 40-45%. Saying that, I've only really covered A Level Biology and GCSE Chemistry thus far, so it's not too bad!

In terms of prep, I do think that 5 months is certainly enough. If I was to start again, I'd move through the material quicker. I'd spend 3-4 weeks working through The GAMSAT review 'syllabus', but not learn them in too much detail (just become familiar with the topics and words so I can identify the topic from the questions). I'd then purchase past papers and practice questions, and then work through them using my text books to answer questions I didn't know. I believe this is a good way of learning, because having to research it usually helps me to remember things.

By doing this, you will essentially be working on your weaknesses. Many people have said it, but the most important thing is understanding why you're getting things wrong. So many of the questions do not require scientific knowledge, but the ability to reason with the information provided. That's not to say you don't need scientific knowledge, you do, but without it, people can still do 'ok' on the test I believe.

When you're getting annoyed/frustrated with the studying, remember it will put you in a good place should you get into Med school. Don't see this simply as a test to get into University, but rather 'prep' for starting your medical career.

Personally, I need to get studying again (after a couple of weeks of slacking due to working nights). I get a 2 hour break on these shifts, so I need to utilise that boring time to study!. I plan on using these 2 hours, and then on my days off, I'll try and get in 4-5 hours. I also have 3 weeks of holiday off work between now and GAMSAT, and so I think I'll be spending 6-8 hours every day studying during this time. It may sound a bit overboard, but I REALLY want to get into Med school in Sept 2013.

Happy to inspire, however it's also about recognising your own individual strengths and weaknesses.

Science in my strength and essays are my weakness, which is why while I got 67 in Sect III, I only got 59 in Sect II.

Plus the "science" in GAMSAT isn't all what many consider true science, in the way you have to do in a degree or a-levels. But a large part of it is about being able to draw information from scientific data or text.
    SGUL GEP (P - Year) - That's a 3rd of 4 years, but 4th of 5...
    "All that we see, or seem, is but a dream within a dream..."
    E.A.Poe

I have zeroo science experience, but I have a degree in English Literature. Im hoping this will help with sections that are non science.

I think Ill wait till March to sit the GAMSAT - Its seems like an awful lot of money to waste for a 'practice'