Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hi Guys, I am in the scenario that i have been made redundant but have a couple of properties rented out giving me some income. Since i have mortgages on all of them i was thinking it might be an idea to get a part time job, just in case if a tenant decides to move out, so that i dont get into arrears.
    Since my Science is really rusty and only about 5 months to go is it worth finding a job or shall i risk it and work full time on the GAMSAT PREP. I really want to apply next year and get atleast 65 to stand a chance for an interview at Nottingham.
    If push comes to the shove i have some savings to keep me going on the rainy days!
    Any advice guys, Please.

Hey guys, just a quick update on the job. Despite a scary first week in which I felt that I was doing everything wrong, I am thoroughly enjoying the work now. The days go incredibly fast, and I've been able to spend some time with a couple of F1's which has been awesome.

I've built up quite the rapport with several of the long term patients, and really like chatting to them when I get a spare minute.

I'm on nights for the next few weeks it seems, which is actually a good thing for me! Less shifts = more time to study. Fingers crossed I'll be able to stay on nights for a good couple of months. From what I've been told, it seems that for several hours during the shift, nothing really needs to be done, so I'm going to take my books along on the off-chance that I can get some work done.

With regards to work, I'm changing my strategy a bit. Until now I'd been fixated on Biology. Mainly because I'm quite good at it, and because I enjoy it. However, after reading The GAMSAT Review, the suggestion is that most Biology questions can be answered by using the info given to you, and with a basic understanding of the fundamentals. As such, I'm going to study just the following topics in some detail, and then spend most of my time working on Chemistry.

Bio Topics:
    -The Cell
    - Osmosis/Water Potential etc
    - Heart Structure and Function
    - Genetics, Reproduction etc
    - Respiration

Any other suggestions? These topics seem to come up rather frequently.... I've got a half-decent understanding of them already, so was planning on spending the next couple of weeks working over them again in a bit more detail and then moving on to Chemistry.

Hey, what's your medicine applicable work experience like? Perhaps your time would be better spend improving this side of your application?

Yeh I am currently volunteering in a hospital for the last 9 months. I am currently in a palliative care unit, going round to various patients and asking them for a drink such as tea coffee. I get involved in talking to them and also offering drinks to the patient family members. I intend to carrying on with this untill I get called for interview!
    Do I need more varied experience or even HCA work?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12