Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Gamsat without science background...

Hi Guys,

Am I being mad considering Gamsat without a science background??

I'm working through the forum trying to work out the best revision material etc and am at an absolute loss. I've ordered a couple of human biology books as I feel more confident with biology but feel lost with chemistry and physics.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

C

I didn't have a science back ground. I didn't even have Bio or Chem GCSE, and it was 20 years after I sat my a-levels - still got 67 on section III. If I can do it, any one can...

I just used the Collins Advanced Science books (lots of nice pictures and diagrams), the Griffith GAMSAT review and the ACER practice/sample papers/questions.
    SGUL GEP (P - Year) - That's a 3rd of 4 years, but 4th of 5...
    "All that we see, or seem, is but a dream within a dream..."
    E.A.Poe

Martigan, thanks for your reply. It's brilliant to hear about others attempting and getting through the Gamsat with little or no science background. Even though we are all individuals with differing amounts of knowledge and experience it nevertheless encourages to know others have succeeded. It's so easy to have one's confidence knocked before even starting.

I'm just starting to put together a revision timetable and the book references are a real bonus as chemistry, biology, physics are such big areas. Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by Martigan View Post
    I didn't have a science back ground. I didn't even have Bio or Chem GCSE, and it was 20 years after I sat my a-levels - still got 67 on section III. If I can do it, any one can...

I just used the Collins Advanced Science books (lots of nice pictures and diagrams), the Griffith GAMSAT review and the ACER practice/sample papers/questions.

I used my lunch breaks doing an hour a day from about April.

It's do-able but everyone needs to find the method that suits them.
    SGUL GEP (P - Year) - That's a 3rd of 4 years, but 4th of 5...
    "All that we see, or seem, is but a dream within a dream..."
    E.A.Poe

I didn't have a science background either, I used OCR AS and A2 books published by Heinemann. Easy to find on Amazon, though I bought mine cheaply on ebay, (but make sure you don't get the 'Revise' version of the books, these look very similar but aren't proper textbooks). I also used the ACER practice papers. I had a quick read through some GCSE books first to learn the basics, as I'd never really done any physics or chemistry before.

I couldn't get my head around physics at all beyond GCSE level, so I concentrated on biology and chemistry. I tried to study for a couple of hours every day for 3 months.

A few lucky guesses in the exam might have helped too, but in the end I got 71 for section 3, a very good score, so it is definately do-able.

Good luck!

Hi Martigan/Joanna did the gamsats couple of weeks ago hopeful for good results. I must admit did find sec 3 quite tricky. Before doing that section I felt very confident as I had covered the whole of a-level chem, kinetics, equilibrium, electrode potential,. bio, mitosis, dna replication, action potential much of this didn’t come up. It didn’t seem necessary to have done all that work not to mention the fact i OVERPREPARED for organic chem. To be fair I looked through the acer practice papers but I hadn’t done any timed. What would you suggest for this section if I had to face the dreaded thing again in sep 2012.

Always love to read such posts/success stories - being a non-science grad myself. Earlier this year I signed up to attend night school a few nights to sit science A-Levels but unfortunately it wasn't possible to continue due to work commitments. Currently working 50+ hours per week across 2 jobs, 1 FT & another PT post. Been off this Easter & decided to pick myself up again & aim for GAMSAT. Not sure about sitting this Septembers but will definitely sit it in March 13. Gonna gather resources over the next few weeks.
    "Perseverance is a virtue that cannot be understated".
    Bob Riley

Hi all

Just thinking about doing the GAMSAT makes me want to top myself...

The only uni I am considering applying to that requires GAMSAT is Notts - thanks all for your recommendations about what resources you found useful. I am in that frame of mind where I know what needs to be done but I don't really know where to start! I did a BSc in Psychology so have a bit of biology experience but no other sciences since I was 15. Scary stuff but good luck everyone!

Don't be put off by the overwhelming workload - just plan out your time & you'll be fine. I'm currently gathering resources & about to start. Hope to start in the next week of two. I have no science background - but plan to take it bit by bit. Keep the chin up & keep posting on NMM for support & guidance throughout.
    "Perseverance is a virtue that cannot be understated".
    Bob Riley

Hi guys, some really great info and recommendations posted by you on here. I'm intersted in applying to one of the four year course as a mature student (I'm 29) so am thinking about pulling the trigger on GAMSAT. I did Alevels in maths and chemistry (both As) but that was back in 2000 (I have a degree in economics, and got a good grade, so i know about studying). I'm not working at the moment so I have all day to study. If I start now, do i have a realistic chance of scoring well in september? Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast