Listing academic qualifications after name

This all seems a wee bit pompous but I can't find the answers anywhere so perhaps some of you guys may know...

Is there an "accepted" way of listing your academic qualifications in an abbreviated form after your name? Should it be done in the chronological order you attained them? Or is it bachelors degrees first, higher degrees second?

Should I even care?

Quote Originally Posted by Chulalongkorn View Post
    Should I even care?
    No

It's often done by seniority of degree, but this (for most) is also chronological. If I needed to do it (and I have never yet had a need ) I would do it by seniority of degree)

In my experience most doctors (if they are writing a formal letter etc) will go for their medical degree first, followed by any Royal College qualifications... thus you could end up as:

Dr A (MBBS, MRCP) (or whatever college they are associated with MRCGP, MRCCH, MRCRad, MRCPsych etc)
    or
    Mr A (MD, FRCS) (or MRCOG etc etc)

Depending on whether you go onto do a higher medical degree - if you do you drop the MBBS and use MD).

In general terms though if you do a BSc, MSc and PhD you would probably just put PhD (and Dr at the front of course).

I wouldn't worry about it too much to be honest though!
    Steven
    (Foundation House Officer, Dept of Orthopaedics & Trauma, University Hospital of North Tees)

Quote Originally Posted by S Knights View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it too much to be honest though!
    The time to worry about it is when you get your name added to the departmental notepaper (and I guess that'll be a few years away for most of us )

But maybe not if MMC have anything to do with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be happy just to get some letters behind my name at the moment... (middle-of-finals paranoia...)
    Steven
    (Foundation House Officer, Dept of Orthopaedics & Trauma, University Hospital of North Tees)

It will be fine!

Was horrible at the time though. Remember it vividly!

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by S Knights View Post
    In general terms though if you do a BSc, MSc and PhD you would probably just put PhD (and Dr at the front of course).
    I thought it was 'X X PhD' or 'Dr XX', not both?

Also to add, it's not uncommon when someone has one or two memberships or fellowships to drop the MBBS.

Quote Originally Posted by Renal View Post
    I thought it was 'X X PhD' or 'Dr XX', not both?
    That is correct.

Apparently in Germany if someone has 2 doctorates they call themselves Herr Dr Dr Schmidt (or whatever). Strange. Just a useless factoid for you on this glorious Saturday arvo.