Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

At UEA we are marked via the joy of statistics. All marks are recieved then charted, if you lie in the 95% range you get a pass, if your more than -2 SD out you fail or if your in the top SD you get a distinction. (give me 40% anyday )
    Michael
    Doctor

Moderator type bloke
    Interesting.

I wonder what would happen if you all set out to do particularly badly....
    Mark
    Anaesthetic Registrar & Newcastle Graduate

50% at cardiff... no negative marking - well not yet!!!!
    *Last one out of the forum - PLEASE TURN OUT THE LIGHTS...*

FY1 - Surgery - UROLOGY

In Cambridge, I think that the passmark depends on how your year does (they can't fail everyone!). I came out of a particularly bad Human Repro exam last year convinced that I had failed (most of my answers were guesses), but somehow managed to pass. Without meaning to make it all sound horrible and competitive, it's not so much how much you know that's important - rather, how much you know in comparison to everyone else.
    Charlotte
    Final year medical student

cjb
    At leicester we have to be satisfactory (which is usually deemed to be around 60%, but might be less or more if everybody finds the question v. hard or v.easy) in 70% of the questions. So you can get a high mark overall (eg 70%) but still fail the exam because you were below threshold in more than 30% of the questions.

Obviously you also have to achieve a satisfactory mark overall (ie 60%). But that alone isn't enough if you fail, say, more than 2 questions out of 6.

At Southampton we have to get 50% to pass. At any one time, we generally have 2/3 exams so we have to get 50% averaged out over those exams, with no less than 40% in any exam. That's not to say they're easy tho.

Moderator type bloke
    We operate rather an interesting system for passing the year here at Durham.

Instead of dividing all the work you've done into the topic areas (such as pharmacology, embryology etc) or even into the seperate exams, we're given three grades that assess our work overall.

The divisions are as follows;

- What the Doctor is able to do (Doing the right thing)
    - How the Doctor approaches practice (Doing the thing right)
    - The Doctor as a professional

Everything we do fits into at least one (more often that not, all 3) of those categories. We have to score a grade of at least S in all 3 areas in order to gain a pass for the year.

The grade system is a fairly simple system of M, S, B & U (where M is merit, S is satisfactory, B is borderline and U is unsatisfactory.) If we obtain a B in one or more of the three components we fail as a borderline student and take a pass/fail viva. If we obtain U in any one of the components we've failed outright and must resit.

The grade for each of the 3 components depends on our performance in exams and coursework. It is possible to ace the exams and still fail the year!
    Mark
    Anaesthetic Registrar & Newcastle Graduate

Kev
    At Leicester we sit an exam for each module, usually a one hour short answer paper. The pass mark is moderated so we never really know what it will be. This year we are taking 13 subject modules. In addition we have OSCE's at the end of the year and an Integreated Medical Sciences Examination which is held in 3 parts over the year and is multiple choice answers (this exam is taken on a PC under exam conditions). Grading is similar to Durham- Excellent, Satisfactory, Barely Satisfactory and Unsuccessful. We are "allowed" one unstaisfactory over the year. Barely Satisfactory is still counted as a pass. If we are unsatisfactory in two or more exams we have to sit a 3 hour paper in the summer called the "Qualifying Exam" which is integrated so covers all subjects again :shock: There is also a practical component to the Qualifying Exam, like a OSCE. Pass the qualifyer and you enter the next year, fail and you have to repeat the year or leave. If you are borderline there is a viva voce exam as well. Attendance is also part of the exam- less than 80% attendance in any module and you do not pass, regardless of the exam mark you achieve. There has been no negative marking so far.

Also forgot to say, at the end of the year we have a 'fitness to practice' board with reports submitted by our PBL tutor and primary + secondary tutors. We have to pass this board each and every year!

Did my OSCEs on friday, comical, the women in my BP didn't have a pulse and the urinalysis station i only got 1 glove on. Still i hope i passed, as i'm currently sitting in the NNUH on nightshift and have done all the OBs/Sats/Temps/BM/Tested peeeeeeee
    Michael
    Doctor

Georges Hospital Medical School (ahem...)

PASS MARKS -
    AT St. Georges the pass mark in the first two years is 60%, with negative marking for a proportion of the paper.
    That proportion is actually not too hard to deal with....I manged to pass that part..... only just! I believe Georges have one of the harder medical exams in the country, but its passable with solid commitment.
    The practical parts of the exams are straightforward - called OSCES - you merely have to follow set procedures in a clinical format - doing things like locating the apex of the heart, taking blood pressure and doing basic rectal examinations (on a dummy, btw ..ahem:roll: ). I got near full marks on em...though they sadly comprise only a little part of the years marks.
    The essay paper may surprise students if they have been out of school for some time. I personally could not finish the required 4 (long) essays in an hour and a half, but then I hadnt hardly picked up a pen in twelve years, so thats perhaps expected? (i'm 31, btw! :shock: But I can manage essays now, thanks... I've had some practice now!)

RESITS -
    Up till 2002 Georges were happy to let anyone resit the year if they failed, but you may be interested to note that they will ignore this rule if they cant afford to let people resit...like when they handed out too many offers to new applicants in 2002 (after the A level remark scandal, remember?)..... after which George's had to hastily scrap their resit rules for that year or face a costly overenrolment! :roll: So dont count on what they tell you!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast