Thread: Bmat ??

elz

Bmat ??

hiya, i know u need to do the bmat to get into certain places. has anyone done it? can you do it even if the place u want to go to doesnt require it, would it help ur application still? can u still put it down?? also i wanted to apply to the med school in plymouth and they ask for a GAMSAT or sumthing, which is some australian thing so im wondering if they would accept the BMAT instead. just wondering if anyone knew anything about all this? cheers

I did the BMAT last year. The medical schools which require it for 2006 entry are:

Cambridge
    Imperial
    Manchester 6 year
    Oxford
    UCL

I'm sure you could do it without applying to one of these, but I really don't see the point. It is a specific admissions test and results are not out before applications are due so any other medical school wouldn't really take any notice.

Peninsula definitely wouldn't consider it as an alternative to GAMSAT. The two are totally different, with the BMAT being considerably easier.
    Alice
    2nd Year, Nottingham

Noodly Doctory Moderator Spencer Wells's Avatar
    Also note that GAMSAT is only for graduates.
    Spencer Wells BSc(Hons) MBBS(UCL)
    Houseplant

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer Wells
    Also note that GAMSAT is only for graduates.
    I think Elz is/will be a graduate. Anyway, this is not strictly true - Peninsula require any candidate who has not "completed GCE A levels, or equivalent, within the last two years" to take GAMSAT.
    Alice
    2nd Year, Nottingham

elz
    thanks for the info. yea i will b a graduate by the time i get their with any luck. great so if i want to apply to cornwall then i have to do the GAMSAT which is harder then the BMAT. ow joy. i thought that looked hard enough. if u apply to the uni do they arrange for u to do it, do u kno? i guess so.

Generally no, you have to sort it out yourself. Oxford (with the BMAT and LNAT) provided papers at the actual university if you couldn't dort it out yourself. But if you were from somewhere like Newcastle, it's a bit of a trek, so you're better off doing it yourself....

I have a question ..

if you do badly on your BMAT, will it really affect your chances of getting into med school?
    I am so worried about this. I tried to look at some past papers and they scared the hell out of me. I don't think i'll do really well on it.

I mean the question they ask are like so broad and stuff. My GCSE maths was only 'B' standard and I didn't take Physics or Maths for A-level.

I'm afraid that this will ruin my chances. I really wanna apply to Imperial and UCL.
    Can anyone who's done the BMAT answer my question? please!
    thank you!

good luck to everyone on the 18th of Aug!
    KCL: Biomedical Science '09