Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

ODP/RN Anaesthetists

Hi,
    I posted this in the doctors mess and got zero response, was hoping you guys could do better!!:

Over in the states RN's actually can qualify to be and actually work as anaesthetists.

In this country, with the reduction in junior doctors hours, and the gradual evolution of the ODP role, more and more tasks are being passed to the ODP. Is it on the cards for the same thing to happen in this country? I can imagine some medics being quite opposed to this seeing as they've spent 10 years training before they've got their first senior reg post - but it makes sense doesn't it?

e.g. a group of ODP anaesthetists working under the supervision of a consultant doing the more minor proceedures requiring light anaesthetics (e.g. knee arthroscopy, teeth pulling etc).

What do you reckon?

Absolutely.
    By the way, I decided to go for ODP rather than nurse training (even though you advised to do it the otherway round!) and I've got an offer to start in September at Huddersfield - I'm frantically trying to sort out my finances before the course starts! I'm actually quite nervous and excited about the whole thing and it's still 6 months away!

b.t.w. - is that your picture on the left?

blimey weegie do you wanna be a nurse, an ODP, a Dr or what???!!! LOL LOL LOL
    Medicine 5yr @ Sheffield 2006

looks more like kylie to me. hmm kylie.... [in best homer simpson voice ]

Quote Originally Posted by nursesteve
    blimey weegie do you wanna be a nurse, an ODP, a Dr or what???!!! LOL LOL LOL
    Yeah I'm quite interested too. I mean I notice that you've applied for some 6 year courses - you must want to do med really really badly. Can you not see a way forwards with your present career. I mean you're in a position to push the cause and blaze the trail so-to-speak. Can you not officially become 1st assistant to the surgeon cos I'm sure people have talked about this before.
    Cheers.

As a point of interest, I am currently involved in the writing of a course to train a new role known as Anaesthesia Practitioners. This course which is being commissioned jointly by the NHSU and Royal College of Anaesthetists is designed to train non-medical personnel to be part of the Anaesthetic team. This new role is seen to be important in pioneering the shift of work, traditionally done only by doctors, to new, non-medically trained grades of staff.

After qualification an Anaesthesia Practitioner will be able to give anaesthesia and monitor patients under supervision. It is envisaged that applicants to the course will come from both current healthcare workers (theatre nurses, ODPs etc.) and life science graduates.

The course is still very much in development but it should be up and running in a number of sites around the country within the next 6 months, so watch this space. Let me know if you'd like any more info.
    Bristol Year 5 (GEP Year 4)

Quote Originally Posted by monkey boy
    looks more like kylie to me. hmm kylie.... [in best homer simpson voice ]
    (she changed it)
    Alice
    2nd Year, Nottingham

cast you down? what are you on about? lol
    Last edited by nursesteve; 06-04-2005 at 06:49 PM.
    Medicine 5yr @ Sheffield 2006

Quote Originally Posted by lucyfrombristol
    As a point of interest, I am currently involved in the writing of a course to train a new role known as Anaesthesia Practitioners. This course which is being commissioned jointly by the NHSU and Royal College of Anaesthetists is designed to train non-medical personnel to be part of the Anaesthetic team. This new role is seen to be important in pioneering the shift of work, traditionally done only by doctors, to new, non-medically trained grades of staff.

After qualification an Anaesthesia Practitioner will be able to give anaesthesia and monitor patients under supervision. It is envisaged that applicants to the course will come from both current healthcare workers (theatre nurses, ODPs etc.) and life science graduates.

The course is still very much in development but it should be up and running in a number of sites around the country within the next 6 months, so watch this space. Let me know if you'd like any more info.
    That sounds exactly what I was refering to inmy initial post. Any info you could supply regarding the post, duration, funding, requirements for applicants etc etc would be very much appreciated. If you've got anything to email my addy is <deleted now>. Cheers
    Chris
    Last edited by correction_centre; 01-09-2005 at 03:23 AM.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast