Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Durham-Access

Durham-Access

On the Durham University website in Alternative entry routes it lists Durham Access course. I searched for it but couldnt find it.

Can anyone throw any light onto it.

It might be this course below but courses change all the time and Unis don't always update their sites. Best option would be to call Durham and speak to their foundation department. If you apply to Durham through an alternative route you will still need a high UKCAT score (around 685+) to make the cut-off.

East Durham College

Durham has two foundation programmes that I'm aware of, one of which is aimed at students local to Durham/Newcastle and one which is aimed at people wishing to retrain. The best thing to do is to call Durham up and ask if either would be suitable for you. They both feed directly and automatically (conditional of course on grades) into Durham Medical School. If you're a graduate though, neither are suitable as Durham and Newcastle allow graduates of any discipline with a 2.1 or higher to apply directly to their four or five year programmes, regardless of A level or GCSE subjects.

Hello,

I have come through the Durham foundation program and I'm currently a second year at Durham. I will be happy to answer any queries anybody has and provide the right contacts for you.

Hi, Cam I ask what qualifications you applied to Durham with mrdell

Hi Laura, When I called Durham a few months ago they told me that as long as I took any course at A level standard or higher I would be fine. Any access course was mentioned to me as acceptable. They just wanted some evidence of recent academic activity as mine was a long time ago. Best to call and speak with Susan Scrafton as everyone's background can be different.

You will need a similar UKCAT to the regular students which is around 690+ this year which is what let me down. Best of luck.

Sorry for the late reply.

I didn't have much. Crappy GCSE's from 1998, mostly E's and no A-levels but I did live as a monk. I started a foundation degree in Business at wolves from 2008. Then applied in 2009, so technically, no completed qualifications but I had a GED from when I lived and worked in the states but it didn't count for much. It's really a course for individuals with life experience and academic ability.

What are your qualifications??

I have Gcses from 1992. so old there probably not worthy so am taking maths and biology again to start the studying process with applications for access to med to start sep 2013. Have been working as hca/phleb for the last few years.

Just want to make the best of what I have like everyone else I guess,

Hi mrdell

Have applied for the foundation in medicine through UCAS but not completed the UKCAT ;should I have at this stage?
    There are only 10 places do you have any idea as to what the competition is like? Have relevant healthcare experience and completed a non too relevant acess course last year with an overall merit but I am only 21 so I am probably up against folks with heaps more overall experience or qualifications so not feeling too hopeful here!! In the unlikely event of getting an interview and being offered a place how did you find the foundation year and subsequent studies since?
    Many thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by mrdell View Post
    Hello,

I have come through the Durham foundation program and I'm currently a second year at Durham. I will be happy to answer any queries anybody has and provide the right contacts for you.

uk registration doesnt open until may for this cycle for UKCAT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast