Funding with a mortgage?

Hi,

I'm wanting to apply to a postgraduate medicine course. However, I currently have a mortgage, and from the information provided on the NHS website re: funding, it would be completely untenable for me to even consider this at present. For clinical psychology, there is graduate equivalent funding (approx 25,000 a year), and I was wondering whether there is any way of securing similar funding for a postgraduate medical degree? I know this is a long-shot, but I want to be certain before I abandon all ideas of becoming a physician.

Thank you for your help,

Tom

A postgraduate medicine degree as in a 4 yr graduate entry medicine course e.g. MBBS?
    There is no such equivalent funding, but there is some tuition fee loans available and an NHS bursary but no where near 25K per year unfortunately.

Warwick GEP 2013-2017!

"Eye of a hawk, the heart of a lion, and the hands of a lady"

Quote Originally Posted by snakefisch View Post
    A postgraduate medicine degree as in a 4 yr graduate entry medicine course e.g. MBBS?
    There is no such equivalent funding, but there is some tuition fee loans available and an NHS bursary but no where near 25K per year unfortunately.
    Thanks for your reply. Yes, I'd be considering one of the 4 year GEM courses. I'd be interested to learn how people fund such courses if they have mortgages/significant financial commitments - is it a case of saving a lot of money beforehand, or do people manage to work whilst training? I've also looked into scholarships, but they seem to be non-existent for GEM courses...

Yes funding is indeed very limited.
    Personally, I am selling my flat to pay for the course! I have estimated in the region of at least 40K living costs to get me through the 4 years, after they give all the loans etc (so on top of that I'll have over 20K tuition fee loans to pay back).
    I have also been saving up so come next Sept I'll have been saving for 2 years and should have a bit extra to help me out, but the main bulk will come from selling my flat.
    Have thought about working during the course, but to be honest I think it'll be too much for me, but I have heard of people who do. Obviously there is some holiday time where you could, but that's significantly reduced c/w 5yr especially in the latter years.

Warwick GEP 2013-2017!

"Eye of a hawk, the heart of a lion, and the hands of a lady"

I rented out my house and got a cheaper one. The rent covered the mortgage and gives me a small income to live off.
    SGUL GEP (P - Year) - That's a 3rd of 4 years, but 4th of 5...
    "All that we see, or seem, is but a dream within a dream..."
    E.A.Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Martigan View Post
    I rented out my house and got a cheaper one. The rent covered the mortgage and gives me a small income to live off.
    Quote Originally Posted by snakefisch View Post
    Yes funding is indeed very limited.
    Personally, I am selling my flat to pay for the course! I have estimated in the region of at least 40K living costs to get me through the 4 years, after they give all the loans etc (so on top of that I'll have over 20K tuition fee loans to pay back).
    I have also been saving up so come next Sept I'll have been saving for 2 years and should have a bit extra to help me out, but the main bulk will come from selling my flat.
    Have thought about working during the course, but to be honest I think it'll be too much for me, but I have heard of people who do. Obviously there is some holiday time where you could, but that's significantly reduced c/w 5yr especially in the latter years.
    Thank you very much for sharing your strategies re: finance. I think that if I were to 'take the plunge' by renting/selling my house and moving back in with my parents, I would be able to fund a 4-year GEM course. However, I've just purchased my first house with my partner, and I know that they wouldn't be happy about me choosing this option. Obviously the problem lies in my inflexibility, and I probably can't expect to study medicine unless I make these sacrifices (or win the lottery). I will however explore the scholarship option further - does anyone know if scholarships for GEM courses exist in England?

Many thanks,

Tom