Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by calum_c View Post
    I got a letter last year saying they had received my application before I had even applied. Contacted them to ask if I should submit a new one and was told yes. A few months past and I got in touch with the head of the course. He forwarded me part of my application and it turned out to be the old one, and the new one had been discarded. I was told it was too late to do anything and re-apply this year.
    Doesn't exactly fill me with confidence! Well I hope you get better news this year!

I was through at the college today handing in my reference, I spoke to someone in Learner Services (her area was Engineering), she took my reference and was kind enough to give me a copy of my application. She explained that the person who deals with the area for this course (science I guess) was of today and wasn't back until Monday. She was going to pass my reference on to the her assistant who is back at the college tomorrow. When I was leaving she was about to phone someone regarding my reference but she was a bit sheepish about who it was and wouldn't phone until I'd left. I asked her if it would matter that it could possibly be late, she said she shouldn't think so but couldn't say 100% cos it wasn't her dept....she did say if I hadn't heard already or in the next couple of weeks to get in touch to find out what is going on.....sorry to go on a bit but thought I'd update what they are saying about the reference...lol..

I didn't explain that v well, if I hadn't heard within a couple of weeks regarding interview, I was to contact them back.

nicolajane. do you have a science background as i have none. also does anyone know what science course i could take this year that would not affect my fundind for access to medicine next year??

Quote Originally Posted by laura muir View Post
    nicolajane. do you have a science background as i have none. also does anyone know what science course i could take this year that would not affect my fundind for access to medicine next year??
    Not sure, cos apparently if you do a bursary funded course seeming you can't get another bursary the next year, at least that's what Perth college told me, I've done Science Highers about 10 years ago so little bit of a science background..
    I wouldn't worry about not having a science back ground, do you have work experience of any sort?

Laura, Dundee College do a course called Movin on to Science and the Environment where you study a whole load of science Intermediate 2 and sit exams at the end, well you must sit at least one. I only know about it cos my partner has applied for it!

I would phone Stow tomorrow if you can and choose the option to speak to someone in finance and ask them how, if you're not successful getting on the Medical Studies Access course this year, would doing another non-advanced course would affect your chances of getting a bursary next year, when you would re-apply?

They should be able to tell you whether you would still get one.

Quote Originally Posted by nicolajane1978 View Post
    Laura, Dundee College do a course called Movin on to Science and the Environment where you study a whole load of science Intermediate 2 and sit exams at the end, well you must sit at least one. I only know about it cos my partner has applied for it!

I would phone Stow tomorrow if you can and choose the option to speak to someone in finance and ask them how, if you're not successful getting on the Medical Studies Access course this year, would doing another non-advanced course would affect your chances of getting a bursary next year, when you would re-apply?

They should be able to tell you whether you would still get one.
    yeah this is the problem i have. i done int 2 care 6 years ago but really wanted to do animal care and got told i couldnt get funded for 5 years. then after 5 years they then said 6 years. so was gonna do it this year but really want to become a vet. so if they say i need some science background i have no idea how im gonna do it

Laura - I didn't do any science at school but have a degree in psychology. I got accepted to vet med in 2008 but couldn't afford to go because the fees are extortionate as a graduate. The best thing you could do is phone the unis you would be interested in going to and ask them what they would be looking for specifically; it will vary conisiderably from place to place. I'm going to do highers in chem and biology if I don't get on the Access course; if vet med is what you want to do, just don't do a degree first or you will be bankrupt!

In addition, think to be successful on the Access course you need to have been out of education for 5 years, so it may be better for you not to do any other course if this is what you have your heart set on. Like nicola said though, it is best to check with the college directly.

ukstern, is it not something scary like 20k per year for the full length of your degree??...which is madness, no-one has that sort of money!

Anyone heard anything re interviews yet??

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast