Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Well done Barry!

I also got an offer letter today, which I have of course accepted! Definitely time to get started on the UKCAT practice questions.

Anyone else heard anything?

Robert

well done rob,

guess ill see u in august

Hey guys

I need some help : /

Im 26 and basically have bummed about for ages because I’ve never known what to do with my life. I have finally settled on becoming a doctor. I don’t want to be a monkey and want to look back and show that I have achieved something worthy. I have always enjoyed being around and interacting with people. I am also looking to start some voluntary care work shortly.

I have 9 standard grades but they are not the best. It was never about ability, only laziness sadly  The relevant grades being – Maths 5, Chemistry 4, Physics 3, English 3.

I did not do any highers.

I also have an HND business diploma and an ordinary degree in business management which I finished in 2010. I didn’t do honours as I hated the course. I really didn’t enjoy it.

Anyway I have e-mailed Glasgow University and asked if having just the access course is enough, based strictly on qualifications. They came back with an interesting response: -

That preference is given to those people who have achieved their degree or school grades 5 years PRIOR to entering the access course.

In other words, should I do some highers/Int 2’s whilst waiting to apply for the access course, even though it may go against me? Or do you know of people who have literally ZERO qualifications and still got in only with the access course and work experience obviously.

Thanks for any help

Chris

hi chris,

the problem is, is that youhave an ordinary degree which you obtained in 2010 meaning glasgow wont consider you until 2015/16, and that is pretty much the same with all the universities. The only thing you habe do is a degree and try and get a 2:1, but this will take u 4 years meaning it will be 2016 before you get into med school. So the best bet for you is to get some experience then do the access course in 2015.

baz

Hi Baz

thanks for that.

That was pretty much my plan anyway to be honest. Gives me time to save cash and prepare and take on work experiene etc. Il only be 30, and im sure I wont be the oldest in the class!

Do you think i should do some Intermediates/highers in the mean time in order to boost my standard grades? Or is the access course enough in terms of qualifications? I dont wanna do a couple higher/int's in 2013 then be told I have to wait 5 years from that date if that makes sense?

Regards

chris

Quote Originally Posted by bazmc View Post
    well done rob,

guess ill see u in august
    I haven't had any mail since Saturday, so I don't whether to assume I've not got an acceptance right away or its delayed in the post....wishful thinkin!!

I got a letter from Stow yesterday inviting me to an interview on May 30th at 9.30am.

Anyone else going to this?

Quote Originally Posted by calum_c View Post
    I got a letter from Stow yesterday inviting me to an interview on May 30th at 9.30am.

Anyone else going to this?
    I had to submit my reference by the same date as you calum so hoping I'll hear back from them in the next couple of days. Am assuming they also let you know if you aren't being selected for interview. Hopefully it'll be good news and I'll see you there!

Quote Originally Posted by ukstern View Post
    I had to submit my reference by the same date as you calum so hoping I'll hear back from them in the next couple of days. Am assuming they also let you know if you aren't being selected for interview. Hopefully it'll be good news and I'll see you there!
    Hope so, you could possibly get a letter today. Hope to see you there.

To the guys who have places or have already been interviewed, have they said much about the timetable for the course?

Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast