Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    see what you mean gizzy
    lets all get back to work

Currently jus below ya nose, macca (hehehe.... ;) )
    and i see what you mean, macca. goodness, exams on thursday..
    "...reminds me of childhood memories,
    when
    Everything was as bright as the bluest skies.."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dqVDQ-lF4Q

Quote Originally Posted by Hungry Joe View Post
    One of the many things I'm researching is how your medical school affects your future job prospects. Would a degree at Oxbridge give you an edge? As always, some say yes, some say no. I'm leaning towards the its not worth it P-O-V at the moment.
    Maybe then you should research what the process is for applying for jobs. Because last time I checked, when I applied, the people marking the answers are completely blinded to the medical school of the applicant. Your medical school is completely irrelevant with giving you the edge or not, as interviews (if required) are done by a panel who score you on your answers to the questions posed, not whether you have a particular college tie or not. Currently everyone graduates the same from all medical school (save for the qualification being MBBS or MB CHB, doesn't matter) so in a way it makes the whole medical school argument rather pointless as every medical students stands equal chance of any foundation school or job as any other, at any other medical school.

I do hate a 'my university is better than this university' rant, but it is nice to hear you speak so positively about UEA though as I will certainly be applying there.
    The only reason I blab on about UEA is there seems to be a general attitude that new schools are shit and a wasted application. Which could not be further from the truth have a read:

BBC NEWS | Education | Degrees of different workloads
    Michael
    Doctor

the new med skools ave the advantage of not eng bogged down by existing staff, who want to keep their jobs and so oppose changes for the better.

they started tabula rasa, but wif the advantage of picking the staff they wanted, not picking what the existing staff wanted.
    when

those "social scientists" have it so nice eh?

hiya, i know i could prob do that, but only at a couple of places - leicester and warwick i think - and obviously on these grad things theres a smaller chance than standard courses. plus i got A, B, C at A-level. anyway, i HOPE i'm doing the right thing.... :-S

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Maybe then you should research what the process is for applying for jobs. Because last time I checked, when I applied, the people marking the answers are completely blinded to the medical school of the applicant. Your medical school is completely irrelevant with giving you the edge or not, as interviews (if required) are done by a panel who score you on your answers to the questions posed, not whether you have a particular college tie or not. Currently everyone graduates the same from all medical school (save for the qualification being MBBS or MB CHB, doesn't matter) so in a way it makes the whole medical school argument rather pointless as every medical students stands equal chance of any foundation school or job as any other, at any other medical school.
    Good knowledge that. What does effect your job prospects then? Your references? Your exam results? Not saying I don't believe you, as I'm sure its right in this case, but I'd be surprised if your Medical School was kept blind throughout your early career, but I am admittedly a massive layperson.

Blab on about your university all you want. Its always good to hear positive things as most med students I speak to bitch about their school (my school doesn't even know who I am, they treat you like shit etc.).
    Last edited by Hungry Joe; 20-05-2008 at 03:03 AM.

its kept blind afore interview, macca.

tbh, i'm glad that the prejudiced ones will still ave a chance to choose all oxford if they want, becos i wouldnt want to work on a team chosen for name rather than ability - too much room for cockups in that kind of work squad.
    Last edited by Gizmo says -; 20-05-2008 at 06:11 AM.
    when

Blab on about your university all you want. Its always good to hear positive things as most med students I speak to bitch about their school (my school doesn't even know who I am, they treat you like shit etc.).
    ah that's how my secondary school is - doesn't even know me

Good knowledge that. What does effect your job prospects then? Your references? Your exam results? Not saying I don't believe you, as I'm sure its right in this case, but I'd be surprised if your Medical School was kept blind throughout your early career, but I am admittedly a massive layperson.
    Well believe away, because it is. Foundation jobs are set for the 2 years in most trusts, those that do interview for FY2 know you ability on the wards through either personal experience of feedback from colleagues, so if your a shit doctor no amount of Oxford or Cambridge degree will save you. When it comes to the ST programme the same thing happens to the current application, questions are posed, answers are scored and jobs allocated to the highest scoring applicants, by that point they don't know or care what medical school you attended but more to the point that you have performed exceptionally well as a FY1 and FY2 doctor.

Thats the good thing about UEA, our year there is < 96 students in my year, although admitedly the intake has gone up now (something like 150+ in the lower years), but you get to know the admin and clinical staff (Dean) etc. on a first name basis and they know you. In fact the dean wrote my reference for my FY1 app form this year.
    Michael
    Doctor

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast