Medicine Vs Pharmacy

Hello,

I was speaking to a very well accomplished doctor today and he was saying to me that I should go for pharmacy instead of medicine, and he gave me the following facts - I'm posting these on here to check them if anyone knows any more about them:

- He said there are currently 28,000 doctors who are fully qualified but cannot get a job.
    - He said that a starting doctor earns 23,000 whilst a starting pharmacist earns 48,000
    - On top of all that he said the new system introduced is very biased making it almost impossible to get a job if your from overseas - I'm from the UK so I'm not sure why he actually said that to me - possibly because because I am asian (like him) and he was indicating racism in the system

And besides all that was the idea of long hours and too hard work.

He himself has done a pharmacy degree and a medicine degree after that.

IWANNABEADOCTOR
    There's no comparison, medicine is so much more varied and interesting, who wants to be counting pills all day ?? not me for sure.

good salaries paid to pharmacists, would you beleive are linked to the drug companies, a whole new can of worms in my opinion !!

At the end of the day, you should know what you want to do and its down to your own interests. Money is not everything, but knowing you have acomplished your goals and dreams is the best thing. Is that not the reason you are on an Access course?

IWANNABEADOCTOR
    knowing your dreams and beleifs does not allways get you where you want to be.
    I'm dreaming of accomplishing medical training, but it doesn't mean I'll get there. The list goes on, Lottery........etc
    I agree on the other hand that money isn't everything, but some are just mis-guided !

28,000? Optmistic figure for an optimistic sounding fellow.... consider how many places each medical school has each year... 28,000 unemployed? This figure is er... slightly exagerated. That equates to the equivalent of every graduate from every medical school not gaining employment for 9 years. A professionals only practicing for 30 (ish) years. Do the maths on that one.

Indeed, I have been offered employment that exceeds the pay of a doctor, long term, indefinately. I have no interest.

If he has a pharmacy degree and a medical degree, and pharmacy is so much better, why is he still a doctor?

Nuff said. Just my outspoken opinion.

'Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.'

Difficult Times Call

Ah, the wonderful quotations of Reinhold Niebuhr. manfromthejam, intelligent and to the point!

I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by ManFromTheJam
    28,000? Optmistic figure for an optimistic sounding fellow.... consider how many places each medical school has each year... 28,000 unemployed? This figure is er... slightly exagerated. That equates to the equivalent of every graduate from every medical school not gaining employment for 9 years. A professionals only practicing for 30 (ish) years. Do the maths on that one.

Indeed, I have been offered employment that exceeds the pay of a doctor, long term, indefinately. I have no interest.

If he has a pharmacy degree and a medical degree, and pharmacy is so much better, why is he still a doctor?

Nuff said. Just my outspoken opinion.
    killing off his future competitors? *roll eyes*

Pharmacists had shit pay unless you end up working for like Boots. Even then the starting salary is somewhere around 28k. I swear JHO wage isn't even 23k. >_<

I can't even bare the idea of being locked up in some grotty white room all days, only to acheive dashing goggle marks. Think the idea of not being able to talk kills me tbh.

you only seem bothered about the money and employment side (the employment side is obv a factor we should all consider, but nm)
    I think you should think carefully about why you want to do medicine and IF you really want to do it if you are having doubts about it for those seemingly trivial reasons. It seems unfair that someone who wants to do it for money got a place in med school and someone who genuinally really wanted to do it, didn't get anything.

(That's just the impression I got, Sorry if that's not how you meant it)
    LIVERPOOL 2007