Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Graduate applicants 2012

Hi all,
    was wondering if there are any grads applying for entry in 2012? Im 27 and going into 4th yr Microbiology (predicted 1st) but I have poor highers, and hoping that this isnt going to pull my academic score down too much!
    Does anyone know what empahsis is placed on school qualifications if applying as a grad to aberdeen?
    My UKCAT was 2610 so am very happy to have that under my belt and it may not be the best, but the spread of UKCAT at aberdeen seems to be quite large.
    anyway good luck to all!

Hi,

Aberdeen doesn't seem to care that much about your school grades as long as your first degree is relevant and you end up with at least 2.1 (Honours)

The only real requirement (as far as I'm aware) relates to chemistry:
    (either)
    B grade at Scottish Higher
    (or)
    A grade at GCE A-level

If your chemistry background is lacking in any way they *might* consider signing you up for summer school programme, however this is not something I'd count on when applying - naturally they prefer applicants who don't require such special measures.
    Last edited by Kensei; 07-09-2011 at 06:13 PM.
    Aberdeen Uni - MBChB year 5

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
    T. Pratchett

Thanks Kensei
    I have Chemistry at Higher grade C, from 2001, but I sat pure chemistry (equivalent to advanced higher) in my degree - achieved an A and have a letter from the head of the chemisrty dept stating content of course etc..
    My degree is very "medical based" and have also studied biochem, anatomy, genetics, pathology and microbiology.
    I really want to go to Aberdeen or St Andrews, starting to get nervous now lol and UCAS hasnt even opened yet!
    2012 Graduate Applicant
    BSc Microbiology (1st class predicted)
    UKCAT - 2610 (653)

Aberdeen - interview 14/12/11 - offer (2.1) 26/3/12
    St Andrews - interview 1/2/12 - offer (2.1) 26/3/12
    Dundee - rejection
    Glasgow - interview 23/1/12 - offer (2.1) 27/03/12 - firm!!!!

I'd say your best bet is to contact medical school admissions see if they would accept your equivalence Chemistry... Because I was in a very similar similar as you, had D in my A-level chemistry but an equivalence of A grade in A-level Chemistry. I sent them a letter from the university I took it but they didn't accept it because they said they don't accept Chemistry that is not part of your 1st degree/A-level/Highers. Also because my biomedical Sciences degree didn't have enough chemistry in it .. after interview they gave me a conditional offer & did 10 week summer school chemistry course & had to get above CAS 18 for my offer to become unconditional. Fortunately I got CAS 20 & I will be going Aberdeen next week

Good luck & let me know if you need more info. PS. I heard usually 1/3 of the course are graduates so don't worry.

Quote Originally Posted by gh70 View Post
    Thanks Kensei
    I have Chemistry at Higher grade C, from 2001, but I sat pure chemistry (equivalent to advanced higher) in my degree - achieved an A and have a letter from the head of the chemisrty dept stating content of course etc..
    My degree is very "medical based" and have also studied biochem, anatomy, genetics, pathology and microbiology.
    I really want to go to Aberdeen or St Andrews, starting to get nervous now lol and UCAS hasnt even opened yet!

^ what Jane said.

I wouldn't agree with the 'usually' part though - we only have around 20 grads in our year and it definitely wasn't a rule in the past. Current 2nd/3rd years may be more grad-saturated, but the school doesn't have a grad intake quota of 1/3 as far as I'm aware.
    Aberdeen Uni - MBChB year 5

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
    T. Pratchett

Who knows - as soon as I press send on the UCAS form its out of my hands. At the open day this year a few of the student guides did happen to mention that there was a high intake of graduates last year into first year - this may just have been a lucky year for golden oldies though~!
    2012 Graduate Applicant
    BSc Microbiology (1st class predicted)
    UKCAT - 2610 (653)

Aberdeen - interview 14/12/11 - offer (2.1) 26/3/12
    St Andrews - interview 1/2/12 - offer (2.1) 26/3/12
    Dundee - rejection
    Glasgow - interview 23/1/12 - offer (2.1) 27/03/12 - firm!!!!

Hi gh70,

I'm a graduate who is applying to Aberdeen this year. I've completed my degree in Anatomy and like you, my highers aren't particularly great. However, I do have a B in Higher Chemistry. I went to the open day and was told by the admissions staff that as long as you have a B in Higher Chemistry, or the equivalent gained throughout your degree, then you will be considered. They may ask for additional info on any Chemistry you've studied throughout your degree since you have a C at Higher.
    Hope this helps and good luck!

CDN
    Have any grad applicants been invited to interview yet? I know they interview til the end of March but I was just curious.

I'm a school leaver but just thought I'd put you at ease. I have yet to hear word with regards to an interview so yeah, their just taking their time.

CDN
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren1994 View Post
    I'm a school leaver but just thought I'd put you at ease. I have yet to hear word with regards to an interview so yeah, their just taking their time.
    Thanks, Darren. I've seen direction signs up for med interviews and it drives me nuts knowing I haven't gotten an invite yet (or a rejection, for that matter)! I'm doing grad studies here which is how I know they're going on.

I know a lot of med students here already; one had their interview in mid-late March but only received the invite with two weeks' notice. They post the invites, too, which always leaves me ill at ease because I don't trust Royal Mail in the slightest!

Anyone else still waiting to hear, school leaver or otherwise? The Abdn board is always super quiet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast